Each year, the Texas Department of Transportation (TXDOT) publishes its latest data on car wrecks in counties and cities throughout the State of Texas. In reviewing the latest figures, one thing is clear: In recent years, the numbers of accidents in San Antonio and Bexar County have been on the rise.
Texas Car Wreck Statistics
Statewide, there are more than 200,000 car accidents that involve injuries or fatalities every year. This amounts to a crash involving injuries about every two minutes and fatalities every two and a half hours. The bad news is that it appears Texas’ roads are getting progressively more dangerous as car crash statistics show: Between 2013 and 2014 (the last two years for which data are available), the number of traffic deaths increased at nearly double the rate of the increase in total miles traveled.
San Antonio and Bexar County See Increase in Vehicle Collisions
Locally, car accident numbers are on the rise as well. Consider these statistics from TXDOT:
San Antonio Car Wreck Statistics
- Four years ago, there were just over 31,000 car wrecks in San Antonio. Three years ago this number climbed to more than 34,000, and two years ago it climbed again to over 37,000. That’s roughly 3,000 additional accidents every year.
- On average, two people suffer incapacitating injuries in car accidents in San Antonio every single day.
- Someone dies in a car wreck in San Antonio approximately every three days.
Bexar County Car Wreck Statistics
- From 2012 through 2014, the number of car wrecks in Bexar County increased from just fewer than 36,000 to nearly 43,000.
- Each year, car wrecks in Bexar County leave more than 1,000 people suffering from incapacitating injuries.
- While the number of fatalities dropped slightly from 2013 (189) to 2014 (183), 2014’s figure is still notably higher than the number of traffic-related deaths in Bexar County in 2013 (168).
What to Do if You Have Been Injured in a Car Wreck in San Antonio or Bexar County
Why do these statistics matter? There are two main reasons:
First, if you or a loved one has been injured in an accident due to someone’s negligence, you are not alone. Although you may not know of any other people who have been injured in a car wreck or other accident and have sought to protect their legal rights, there are thousands of people across San Antonio, Bexar County and throughout Texas who do so every year.
Second, these people who have been injured due to someone’s negligence demonstrate the importance of standing up for your legal rights. Aside from ensuring that your financial losses are recovered, filing a claim also helps bring awareness in the fight against causes of car crashes such as distracted driving, drunk driving, and the various other causes that contribute to the high rate of car crashes, other accidents and the resulting injuries and deaths.
Things to do if you’ve been injured in a car wreck or other type of accident:
- Seek medical attention as soon as possible, even if you think you feel fine at the immediate time of the crash, as symptoms may be delayed;
- Always follow the medical provider’s or doctor’s advice;
- Try to document everything you remember about what happened and try to take photos of your injuries and the damage to your vehicle;
- Don’t give any statements written, oral or recorded to the adverse driver insurance companies’ adjusters;
- Don’t talk or post anything about the accident or you injuries on any social media such as Facebook;
- Call us or an attorney of your choice to help you protect your rights to just compensation.
Schedule a Free Car Wreck Consultation at the Felix Gonzalez Law Firm
At the Felix Gonzalez Law Firm, we offer free initial consultations to all car wreck or accident victims, and legal fees are never charged unless we recover just compensation in your case. If you would like more information about protecting and enforcing your legal rights, call 210-298-6666 or contact us online today.