How We Win Settlements
Felix Gonzalez is an experienced San Antonio truck accident lawyer with decades of proven results. He works tirelessly for Texan motorists who have been hurt in accidents involving 18-wheelers and other commercial vehicles.
Texas roadways, especially the congested highways around San Antonio, are notorious for semi-truck accidents. According to the NHTSA, Texas had the highest number of large trucks involved in fatal crashes in 2014. Texas also had the highest number of big rig occupants killed in 2014, beating the next state by over 70 deaths.
This puts Texas residents, and drivers at a clear disadvantage when it comes to safety and sharing the road with 18-wheelers.
Our Truck Accident Investigation Process
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, and other regulatory agencies, have regulations that require truck drivers and companies to maintain detailed driver records and logs. Part of our investigative process includes ensuring that these are preserved for review to help determine fault. This includes:
- Driver log books
- Driver background and driving history
- Fleet maintenance records
- Company hiring and training procedures
What We Will Do For You
Roadways in San Antonio, TX are full of big rigs and 18-wheelers. Texas has more miles of road than any other state and as a result, we also have more commercial truck accidents than any other state. In spite of the high number of accidents, however, each one is different and deserves personalized attention and a distinctive approach.
If you or a loved one has been in a truck accident in San Antonio, our truck accident lawyers will take the time to listen to the details of your case, perform an immediate and thorough investigation, and develop a case strategy for your unique statement of facts and injuries. We want you to get the best representation possible and that means taking the time to listen and tailor our representation to your unique case and not just apply any cookie cutter approach.
Accidents involving commercial trucks can be devastating due to the size and weight of the vehicles and the amount of force and speed usually involved. If you’re not prepared for how to handle such a situation, it can make it even worse.
Our highly experienced truck accident lawyers suggest taking the following steps if you’re involved in a tractor-trailer accident in San Antonio or the surrounding area.
Do not hesitate to contact 911 if there are obvious or life-threatening injuries.
If injuries are not obvious or life-threatening, then you can turn your attention to documenting the scene and preserving the evidence.
- Do NOT move any of the vehicles involved, including the semi-truck that caused the accident. Take pictures of the vehicles and surrounding area right away, while marks and other evidence are still fresh.
- Call the police. San Antonio officers and deputies are specially trained in how to handle commercial truck accidents, including interviewing witnesses and writing a report. Reports help us create a case against the driver and the insurance company.
- Gather your own evidence. We do not want you to interfere with the police officers, but it’s important that you gather your own evidence as well. Talk to witnesses who stopped. Take your own pictures. Ask the commercial truck driver and other drivers for their insurance information, and give them yours. You also need to write down the name of the trucking company, their phone number, and any identifying information about the truck, such as a number or license plate.
- Get the officer’s contact information. Once the officer leaves the accident scene, they’ll go back to the police station to finish their report. You need to request the officer’s name, badge number, and contact information before they leave so you can contact them later for a copy of the report. Not only is it your right, but their report will also be critical to your case.
- Call a San Antonio truck accident lawyer. It’s important to understand that you have rights if you’re involved in a big rig accident, but rarely does a driver successfully navigate the ins and outs of a semi-truck accident case on their own. The law is complex and insurance companies fight hard. You need a truck accident lawyer who will fight even harder.
- See a doctor. Even if you don’t have obvious injuries, you need to get a medical professional’s opinion. Injuries such as neck, back or concussions can often remain hidden until days following an accident. We can help direct you to a medical professional who’s experienced in working with victims of semi-truck accidents.
What We Investigate
Inadequate truck maintenance and defective equipment
Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations, and similarly Texas regulations all have high standards for the care and maintenance of trucks and equipment. All too often, however, truck and logistic companies fail to meet these regulations and standards. If your accident and injuries were caused by poor maintenance or defective equipment, our dedicated truck accident lawyers know exactly what to look for to prove your case.
Jackknife accidents are common but easily preventable. They’re too often caused by a speeding driver that has to abruptly step on the brakes, causing the trailer to swing wide into oncoming traffic. The results can be catastrophic. A thorough investigation can pinpoint the cause of the accident and determine fault.
A fully-loaded 18-wheeler can weigh upwards of 80,000 pounds! Being rear-ended by one can cause much worse injuries than being rear-ended by a 4,500 lb. car. A truck accident lawyer needs to find out why the driver rear-ended your vehicle to determine if it was fatigue, drugs or alcohol, distracted driving, speeding or something else.
Accidents involving 18-wheelers and smaller vehicles often result in the smaller vehicle going under the trailer from the rear. These accidents are often catastrophic and devastating and can result in paralysis, loss of limb, or death. Trucking companies and their insurance companies often place blame the driver of the car, but through our investigation, we often find that the truck driver is usually at fault by failing to follow the rules of the road and other regulations.
Commercial Truck Accidents
Commercial trucks are subject to complex interstate laws and federal regulations. If you’ve been injured in an accident with a commercial truck regardless of the state of origin it will take a knowledgeable legal team that understands the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations, interstate laws, and Texas state laws to help you win your case.
Our San Antonio truck accident lawyers are standing by to take your call 24/7. Contact us today for your free consultation!
(5 / 5)
“Great experience with you all. Victoria was great! I was hit by a US Postal Office truck and Victoria and her team got me the money I deserved.” – Deion Wilkinson 01/14/18